Saturday, June 13, 2009

Krishna Connection

Vijayawada. That is the place chosen for me to begin my career. Everyone would like to work in metros and big cities. That is where the action for IRS lies. Big cases, complicated issues and ingenious chartered accountants collude to sharpen the learning curve. But small towns have their own charm, I was told. If you dispute my terming of Vijayawada as a ‘small town’, all I can say in defense is that small is relative. The last time I referred to Vijayawada as small, the listener broke into a sarcastic laugh. An accomplished bureaucrat who retired as Chief Secretary, he must have felt that I was being snobbish. I can’t blame him much. Even my batchmate in the IAS, who is posted in Eluru, protested instantly at my judgment of urban sizes.

It is characteristic of my service that we don’t begin with places like Rampachodavaram. Atleast not till the Government thinks of taxing collection of honey and sale of wild jackfruits. And that, considering the reluctance to bring agriculture in the ambit of taxes, seems very remote. So for IRS, where a lot of our colleagues start their careers at places like Mumbai and Delhi, Vijayawada is a small place.

So what is it that makes small places charming? It is the people. The day I was to reach here, my train was scheduled to arrive here at 4:45 in the morning. I called the office the previous day and asked if they could send someone to the railway station as I was new to the place and was arriving at an odd hour. In about an hour’s time, I got a call from the driver. I asked him to be at the station by 4:30 in the morning. He said he would be at 4 am. And he was. It was just the beginning. It is ten days since I came here. And I have never come across anyone who thinks twice when you ask him for something. People here respect you to the point of embarrassment.

One reason could be because officers of my rank are few. There are five officers of the rank Assistant / Deputy Commissioners in Vijayawada. The corresponding number in Hyderabad is more than 50. Other could be historical. During my interaction with a senior officer, who hails from this place, I was told the behavior of people towards Government officials is result of the colonial history. Since the region, unlike Hyderabad, was under the colonial rule, the people are well-acquainted with administrative machinery and are more conscious of the power, potential and the reach of Government. This is something which would be put to test soon. How?

My jurisdiction consists mainly of old parts of the city and adjoining rural areas. The economic growth is not very vibrant in these parts. But that doesn’t grant me immunity from upward revision of revenue targets. My predecessor felt that collections have reached optimum levels and are likely to plateau. The only way to increase collection was to widen the tax net. So I have sent about 400 letters to assesses, who were not filing returns to do so. Non-filing of Income-tax returns when you have a taxable income or when you belong to particular class of assesses like companies could lead to imprisonment. The response to these letters would reveal whether the people here are truly respectful of the authority of Government.

Personally what I like the most about small cities is their contribution on the professional front. You get to deal with all types of cases. In big cities, there is an element of specialization in the jurisdiction. Some charges deal with only salary cases, some with business cases and others with companies. However, in small cities, the jurisdiction is territorial. So one gets to deal all kinds of cases and consequently the experience is more varied. Secondly, the workload is relatively more manageable. Not that every colleague of mine in the metros are getting buried under the piles of files, but a few of them do have quite a Herculean task ahead of them. And for me, after two years of slumber at Mussoorie and Nagpur, keeping myself awake when sun is still high is in itself a Herculean task.

6 comments:

gaddeswarup said...

Did not visit this blog for a while. Vijayawada is one of the towns that I am 'sort of' familiar with. I studied there (54-56), many cousins from Avanigadda migrated to Vijayawada and settled there; I visit them off and on. I visited Gulzar Natarajan once. Lot of Telugu and other books were published by Visalandhra Publishing house; my old friend PPC Joshi used to br the manager. They had gurajada manuscripts in two trunks for a number of years and carted them around for fear that they may be burnt when police st fire to some houses. I heard Viswanatha used to visit the book store and borrow potboilers for overnight reading. Mikkilineni Radhakrishnamurthi must be in his nineties and still around some where. Navodaya Ramamohana Rao is a good contact for Telugu books. Very helpful gentleman. The very first time I went to Navodaya, he did not have the books that I wanted but sent a young man with me to the right area to find such books. He is one of the pioneers in Telugu publishing. I may visit next August. If you are still there, we can meet.
Swarup

Cosmic Voices said...

Great to hear from you....Would to love to meet you and see the city through your eyes. Do let me know when you are here.

gaddeswarup said...

It is tricky to meet a govt. officer with so many relatives there. Some of them are well to do and probably avoid some income taxes. If you meet any Gaddes, may be you should not mention that we are sort of acquinted. I have been taking interest in a microloan project in Velur (near Narasaraopet) and cannot get any of my relatives to visit the project.
Next August, one of the big sessions of the International Congress of Math. takes place in Hyderabad. To my surprise I am still doing math. and may attend the conference in Hyderabd. So I will be in those parts by next August if not before. Sometime before that, Pl. let me know how to get in touch with you at anandaswarupg@gmail.com

gaddeswarup said...

It is tricky to meet a govt. officer with so many relatives there. Some of them are well to do and probably avoid some income taxes. If you meet any Gaddes, may be you should not mention that we are sort of acquinted. I have been taking interest in a microloan project in Velur (near Narasaraopet) and cannot get any of my relatives to visit the project.
Next August, one of the big sessions of the International Congress of Math. takes place in Hyderabad. To my surprise I am still doing math. and may attend the conference in Hyderabd. So I will be in those parts by next August if not before. Sometime before that, Pl. let me know how to get in touch with you at anandaswarupg@gmail.com

Unknown said...

hello... ? no vijaywada is not small by any means... rampachodavaram is... i've been to both these places...but try my diglipur.. at the extreme north of andaman and nicobar... you'll know what a small place is :)

Cosmic Voices said...

What were doing in Rampachodavaram? Diglipur sounds very romantic....I would love to try it....tell me, when can I come down to Andamans?