Friday, August 04, 2006

Monsoon Wetting



The rain has held back for days and days, my God, in my arid heart. The horizon is fiercely naked---not the thinnest cover of a soft cloud, not the vaguest hint of a distant cool shower.

Send thy angry storm, dark with death, if it is thy wish, and with lashes of lightning startle the sky from end to end.

But call back, my lord, call back this pervading silent heat, still and keen and cruel, burning the heart with dire despair.

Let the cloud of grace bend low from above like the tearful look of the mother on the day of the father's wrath.

- Rabindranath Tagore, Gitanjali


It is finally raining here !!!!!

And for those who hate rains, all I can do is to shake my head in disbelief and mutter, “Kahan se aise logaan aathe ki, kya hai ki”












7 comments:

Sameera said...

hmm so u link again albeit not in a very nice way

enjoy the rain ..mr rain lover

kuffir said...

i like the pictures ..show the skeptics what you're celebrating.

Cosmic Voices said...

Thanks Kuffir !!!

Guys, I too can celebrate.

gaddeswarup said...

What does the last line mean? I can understand some Hindi lines (from old film songs) but not all in spite of spending a few years in the North. thanks.
Swarup

Cosmic Voices said...

"(God knows) from where such people come."

Thats a hyderabadi slang. You append "kya hai ki" to everything that you don't seem to figure out.

gaddeswarup said...

Reminds of an incident in my younger days. In late 60's Iused to have long hair. Once in 1970, I travelled with friends in in a taxi in Bombay. When we got down, the taxi driver asked the friends "Where did you bring this crature from?". In A.P. they used to be surprise when I spoke in Telugu, still the only language I know except for strange English. good old days. Whenever the monsoon started we used to go out and get drenched.

Cosmic Voices said...

Ah! Your comment invokes both short-term and long-term nostalgia..

Short term.. I just cut my shoulder-length hair few weeks back...

Long term...I remember how we once got drenched while walking back from our inter college. We walked the entire stretch from S.R.Nagar to Panjagutta when even vehicles did not dare to ply.

Somewhere in between we picked up hot mukka butta and went on the flooded road where the least depth was ankle-deep water.

Needless to say, onlookers thought we were out of our minds..